I don’t hear much about pastry these days. It’s not very difficult to make so I think we should celebrate it! There’s nothing more delicious than a piping hot apple pie spiced with cinnamon and a scoop of ice cream!
Tips for perfect pastry
- Keep it simple! – I think the less ingredients, the better the pastry.
- Make sure your ingredients are cold where possible e.g. butter.
- Cold hands – I run my hands under a cold tap for a couple of minutes before touching the ingredients.
- Sift the flour for a lighter pastry.
- Extra flour – a sprinkle of flour on your work surface will stop it from sticking and breaking when you roll it out.
- Refrigerate before baking to cool it down after its been ‘worked’.
- Bake blind – cover your pastry with baking paper/greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or dry rice.